Head of Department - Dr. Arpit Bansal
Bariatric surgery at Jeevan Jyoti Hospital is performed by one of the best bariatric surgeon Dr. Arpit Bansal and his team. Bariatric surgery (weight loss surgery) includes a variety of procedures performed on people who have obesity. Weight loss is achieved by reducing the size of the stomach with a gastric band or through removal of a portion of the stomach (sleeve gastrectomy or biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch) or by resecting and re-routing the small intestine to a small stomach pouch (gastric bypass surgery).
What is Obesity? :
Obesity is the excessive accumulation of fat that exceeds the body's skeletal and physical standards. The National Institute of Health (NIH) states that excessive weight becomes a health hazard when it is 20 percent or more above ideal body weight. Patient with serious health risk are susceptible to serious diseases like heart disease, respiratory diseases or even infertility. It can result in either significant physical disability or even death.
Causes of Obesity:
Obesity can be caused due to various reasons like changed lifestyles, energy dense diets, low level of physical activity, environmental factors, heredity, psychological and cultural influences and many others.
- Heredity : Genes may increase vulnerability to obesity
- Metabolic Factors : Obesity is directly linked to a slow metabolism or reduced metabolic activity
- Endocrinological factors : This is a rare occurrence and contributes to less than 1% of all weight gain in the world.
- Hypothyroidism : Hypogonadism in men and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome in women are closely associated with obesity.
- Medication : Certain drugs may contribute to weight gain, such as corticosteroids, sulfonylureas for diabetes, steroidal contraceptives and anticonvulsants such as valproate used in epileptic therapy. Antipsychotics, antidepressants, mood stabilizers like lithium are medicines that have weight gain as a side effect.
- Psychological Factors : Though psychological factors play a minor role in the development of obesity, they are important in relation to responses to treatment. For example, many patients reduce depressive symptoms by eating. These people may gain weight with one episode of depression and increase it with the next. Further, concepts of dietary restraints, body image dissatisfaction and binge eating disorders have been intimately linked to the increase in obesity.
- Dietary Factors : An increase in caloric intake, changes in lifestyle, food systems and increased portion sizes, eating out frequently also leads to increased calorie intakes as one meal served in restaurants and fast food outlets exceeds a person's caloric needs for the entire day.
Why Choose Our Hospital ? :
Our Bariatric Surgeon, Dr Arpit Bansal, is a highly skilled surgeon. He performs minimally invasive or key hole surgery techniques, with very high success rates and low complication and mortality rates.
The Division of GI Surgery, GI Oncology, Minimal Access and Bariatric Surgery at JJ Group of Hospitals, is equipped with the most modern facilities and caries out almost all major GI, Hepatobiliary, Pancreatic procedures and has an active bariatric surgery programme. The department has its own gastrointestinal and liver Intensive Care Unit for sick patients.
Our aim is to be a care provider of first choice, for the referring physicians as well as for the patients who seek surgical management for gastroenterology and liver diseases.